Sunday 22 October 2017

552 miles later

Sitting relaxing in Crete, not a cloud in the sky, warm sun baking the ground, watching a small Lizard go about its morning business, mulling over my thoughts. Having time to relax, has given me time to think and evaluate my running year. 2017 started with the Hardmoors 30 on New Year’s Day morning, wind whistling around my head, blowing the cobwebs away, what contrast from today. 



I have had an interesting 2017 so far, six Ultras entered and six finishes. Five hundred and fifty two miles completed over these six ultra races and I believe my biggest race mileage year to date; I have to be pleased with this?
I look back now and I am more than happy with my race results, but after each race this year I have questioned myself and my performances. I think it’s good to analyse your own performance after a race, but that analysis is sometimes tougher if you have had a harder race. Sometimes it can end up being more critical which can lead to negative thoughts and actions.
I have been mindful this year to be patient, making no changes to training and general running outlook until a few weeks after an event. I find that these events take a lot out of you, not just physically, but mentally. So I’ve learnt that this is another reason to not make snap decisions after an event and to be patient. Although, I would agree that some quick decisions ease that mental pain and frustration with performance, but I honestly think that this eventually catch’s you out in the long term. 
I want to be running for the long haul and learning from race successes and mistakes is part of the Ultra game. I’ve learnt to take time and soak up the tough times and good times. The fruits of your efforts will be seen not just looking back over a year, but hopefully years down the line.
So I end the year feeling physically stronger and fitter, with increased mental resilience and hopefully a little wiser about this crazy game I love so much. 
Looking forward to 2018, my challenge is to take my learning and apply it to new events that I’m hoping to run in, and to learn every time I run next year wherever that is and wherever that takes me. 


Great memories coming into Ambleside check point - mile 80, Lakeland 100 2017.











No comments:

Post a Comment